Calgary Police officer charged with assault after on-duty incident

The charge is the result of an incident that occurred on January 27, 2009. The matter was investigated internally and the Calgary Police are not yet releasing the name of the officer, citing a recently instituted policy against publicly identifying members who have been accused of an offence while carrying out their duties. Under the policy police will release the name of the officer if they are convicted. This charge comes on the heels of assault charges against three other officers for allegations of excessive force for two separate incidents during traffic stops in 2009.

Category: Police accountability / L'imputabilité de la police

Tagged:

26 Responses

1. avatar Anonymous says:

What justification could there be for not releasing the names of charged officers? With a few exceptions for youth, etc., the names of people charged is public information. This includes high profile individuals such as politicians. Why should police officers get differential treatment?

2. avatar Lawrence Oshanek says:

The bar for charging a police officer with assault has been held very high indeed. The psychology of modern police is one of us and them and to stonewall civilian control as much as possible. The new policy of Chief Rick Hansen is consistent with his personality and belief systems and the policy is a failure of civilian control.

As a society, we cater to police wants, allowing the militarization of a civil service based mostly upon propaganda, perception and myth.

This new policy is an indication of how much trouble we are really in and an incremental change in who is in control.

3. avatar Anonymous says:

Before 25 Jan. this year, I knew nothing about Calgary police and never thought I could be in trouble with the police. In the past few days, I have found out a lot about Calgary police and feel very disheartened.

I went to an insurance adjustors’ office last Monday. During the brief meeting I was physically assaulted and injured by the manager. Two policemen showed up when I was on the floor and in too much pain to get up. They refused my request to fill a witness statement. They refused the same request of two witnesses as well. They repeatedly made treats to me: you must leave in three minutes, or I’ll handcuff you, drag you out of here, throw you into my vehicle, take you to police station and put you into jail. See how much pain you’ll get.

After my companion carried me out of the building, they came to threaten me again: if you dare to call 911, I’ll issue you a ticket. Lay charge on you for abusing 911 services.

When I followed people’s advice to take the issue to their supervisor, the Sergeant didn’t want to listen, he shouted at me: You shut up. If I were there, the only one I would lay charge on was you. I asked him to put it in writing. He said: I don’t put anything in writing and hang up the phone to my face.

When I was talking to a senior officer of the Citizen’s Complaint Unit, he didn’t want to take down any information regarding the two police officers and the event. He didn’t even ask the basic questions on their complaint form but to ask about me, my work, my family, my health, my doctor’s name, He also asked me to sign a release to let them go into my medical records. When I suggested he should listen to me regarding the two policemen. He told me that he had to go. This is how Calgary Police handles public complaint against police officers. I don’t know if it was this individual’s choice to try to mislead me and discredit me or it is the police system which has a secrete policy for him to follow.

Today I went to Calgary police website. When I read Rick Hanson’s slogan: Our mission is “To maximize public safety in Calgary with vigilance, courage and pride”. I feel funny. I know I can never trust the police again.

People who read my story, please give your opinion as to how likely I’ll get justice in this dark and corrupted force.

If somebody told me such an event happened in a foreign country and then asked what I thought, I would say that country was barbarous. I would stay away from that country. Yet this did not happen in a foreign country, but right here in Calgary and happened to me.

4. avatar Lawrence A, Oshanek says:

The story related to this page about the Calgary police complaint process is,in my view, reasonably accurate.

The additional unmentioned assault on liberty is the chill created by the handling, by professional police, or ordinary citizens who come to management with a complaint and who leave in anonymity because they have become afraid of police retaliation.

It just gets worser and worser!

5. avatar Lawrence A, Oshanek says:

The additional unmentioned assault on liberty is the chill created by the handling, by professional police, of ordinary citizens who come to management with a complaint and who leave in anonymity because they have become afraid of police retaliation.

It just gets worser and worser!

6. avatar Anonymous says:

FIY

I have not submitted my complaint yet, the retaliation already started. Police officers were sent every day for 3 days now to come banging on my door. Tonight they came at 8:45. They use this way to scare me and make my neighbors think I am in trouble with police. I don’t know if they can break in or not. I tried every way to ask help stopping this harassment, even Calgary Police Commission can’t do anything for me.

Calgary is a police state I now know for sure. As a peace loving and law abiding citizen there is no place for me.

7. avatar genesis says:

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

8. avatar Anonymous says:

I am a homeless man for the past four years here in Calgary. I have been stopped by the police on too many occasions to count and have had no charges laid against me and the only ticket i have received is for having a tent in a so called park. i do not consume alcohol or drugs and i do not break the law… i am just a dumpster diver.

On numerous occasions I have bee stopped while just merely walking down the sidewalk with no reasonable justification for them doing so. The last time they stopped me I had a look at the records as the scrolled on their computer screen and you would think I am a hardened criminal, they manufacture crime and criminalize you if they cannot get something legit.

Police state is a fair assumption and I am going to seek a lawyer to sue them.

9. avatar Pentapower says:

For everyone that read these comments, I am also a victum of police brutality! They actually had the nerve to charge me with assault!!! The Calgary Peace Officers(Police) should be ashamed of themselves to allow these kinds of things to happen to disgrace their already difficult jobs! There are many good Peace Officers out there that wish to keep the peace, but along with the good, there are the bad! I will be representing myself against the disclosure of three piteous officers that are total liars!!! They do not know who they are messing with and once the case is over I will be suing the City of Calgary Police force and making sure that these three, so called, Peace Officers, are relieved of their duties!!!

10. avatar Me says:

Pentapower I was to assulted drug out of my own home yes I was intoxicated but was in my own home my roomate called ambulance bc she thought I had alcohol poison I refused and said I know my rights I just need to go to sleep! well the officers came beat the crap out of my bruised from head to toe! tooth went tho my lip well at least they tok me to the hospital! well needless to say as I was in handcuffs as all this was happening to me they decided sometime that I has assulted them now might I had I was only 110lbs and 5f nothing! well now I am charged with assulting a police officer I tried to talk to a few people about it I just keep getting the same things since i did not get pic untill the next day because I was in the hospital I have no case! and even if the hospital had records of my injurys it could of happened before they even got there. so basically its there word against mine

11. some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this website is very user genial ! .

12. avatar Roni Hartung says:

Simply a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style .

13. avatar Jorge Monteiro says:

I too am a victim of excessive force by 3 Peace officer representing calgary transit policy of profiling its ridership as a lesser class of resident in this city.I am appearing in court on july 20, 2011 on a bogus charge of obstructing a peace officer. Mark Middleton 279, A. Schneider 0260 and another one who is not on file. If you have any cases of abuse linked to these 2 corrupt peace officers please provide details. Time is of an essence.

14. avatar UNKNOWN says:

Anyone who witnesses a Calgary police officer breaking the law in any way PLEASE GET THEIR NAME AND BADGE NUMBER and post it online (on this site or anywhere else, we will find it). This can include making up false charges in order to get an arrest or see a persons id, or detaining a person without probable cause.

Post officers full names so they can be held accountable. We cannot trust the legal system to do this for us. If anyone has any links to officers full names or home addresses that have been accused of wrong doing please post them on as many websites as you can incase some are removed.

Know your rights, read the canadian constitution and study law and legislation whenever you can.

15. avatar UNKNOWN says:

I will be posting my full list of corrupt police officers in calgary with home adreess and contact numbers once it is complete and after speak to my lawyer.

16. avatar UNKNOWN says:

If you were arrested officers names can be found in your non disclosure information. You can request this information at the court house at any time.

17. avatar private says:

How does one attempt to seek justice when you have been a victim of police brutality? Calgary, AB.

18. avatar Neil Whiten says:

With possessing a lot content and articles have you ever encounter any problems involving copyright infraction? My own weblog has many distinctive articles I’ve both written myself personally or even outsourcing nonetheless it appears like a lot of it is actually popping it up all around the net with out our endorsement. Have you any idea any methods to help prevent content material via staying ripped off? I might genuinely be thankful.

19. avatar Lance Koop says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a superb job with this. In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!

20. avatar Lawrence says:

I am also disappointed by the system of Calgary police they lie in the court of law. December 2010 I was stopped by a police officer 01 am in the morning when he came to my window he asked me where iam from and i told him address of the home. But he said i mean what country you are from and told him and asked him why stopped and he said you are not wearing a sit belt. It is not even funny he can see me buckled up when i roll down the window wearing sit belt. few minutes later another police show up the pull out of the car and handcuff me starting searching me putting his hands and touching my body and left me in the cold, after pleading to them on numerous occasions he took me to his and issued me five tickets plus a criminal charge obstruction of justice. I wish to voice my case any suggestions? what i should do.

21. avatar Victime says:

I am also a victim have not yet brought up charges thinking about doing so.

choke to near death handcuffed with vicious intend
    detain and later coerce to sign forms
    documents they originally wanted me to sign. now their case is in court still and due to my ignorance of the constitution and of the charter of Canadians rights, freedoms and guarantees. was intimidate and accepted a fraudulent charge under her majesty the queen of England. I have no such queen.

Arms an implied right in order to defend ourselves of course you must also understand that it is written in the book that “-those who live by the sword will also die by the sword-”. or gun. Abuse is unacceptable from anyone but specially by public servants whom have sworn to served and protect. This are dangerous times.

I fear not death reserve my all of my rights past present and future. I stand for peace yet if my human rights are violated or suspended temporarily or otherwise my rights to self defence stand including but not limited to financial and/or criminal charges and death as a final resolve.

a citizen coalition force to stand against the chief of police if one exist member/s of such. Also, voting politicians whom will restrain the “dog” chief of police will help. dogs need be on a leech pigs to or any pets whose owner’s is responsible for damages.

4 1 6 really upset and piss city-zen / net-zen…

any lawyer lawyers who would sue them on my behalf may contact me.

22. Thanks for the writeup. I definitely agree with what that you are saying. I have been talking about this topic a good deal lately with my brother so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed!

23. avatar Anonymous says:

what a bunch of whiners

24. avatar CB says:

Wow, I knew I wasnt alone, but I was recently thrown on the sidwalk by one of calgary’s finest, cracked my head, have a concusion and whiplash and I too am up for assulting an officer..the PO said I “slipped” what a joke…should be interesting, since we have this assult on video

25. avatar Anonymous says:

Saw the cops face on the news and was assaulted in the back of the van by him for attempting to escape LOL
    Officers name is dan bultsma

26. avatar Ron Vieau says:

The CPS is more corrupted then the Toronto Police, Arbitrary detention is their specialty, along with most of the police , it seems, can’t understand the Charter, I’m gonna sue this corrupted organization, They all lie, I guess we pay them to do that.